Thursday 6 August 2015

The Cheshire Cat

Hey! Be careful where you walk, you almost stepped on my tail! What does it mean that you hadn't seen me? Cannot you see an invisible cat? You see, it's not that I'm invisible all time: I appear and disappear. Normally when you expect it the least. I do it because I feel a subtle pleasure in making people giddy with this attitude of mine, but just with those people who don't attend. It's a bad attitude to think to something else while I'm telling a tale, and I don't care if a watch with no hands told you're late. You'll always be late for a date, so take your time and relax; it doesn't really matter which way you ought to get when you don't know where you want to go, so focus on and listen up. Because if you don't pay attention I will nail you to the floor with my claws, and if you refuse to attend to my story I'll disappear, leaving my grin to bewilder you. It doesn't matter how you will attend to, I don't need to explain it to you. The best way to explain it is to do it, because it's just a Caucus-race: the racecourse's shape is of no importance, you begin running when you like and you leave off when you like. And when the Dodo will call the race over, you'll have your prize too, like a good note, from a writing desk or from a raven, just nevar (sic) put it with the wrong end in front. But don't let who's crazier than you to baffle you with their hoaxes and never trust a deck of cards, would it be in March or at tea time.
But now I have to leave, or, rather to say, disappear. But I will always dwell in Wonderland, for there's no places for me outside there: I prefer sitting on threes rather than on mushrooms, even when I have something important to say and you are called back to lessons which lessen to nothing. And there's one or two vulnerable stripes even on my fur. You also can catch up when you want, you just need to walk that pattern that is somewhere south of Hell. You can find its beginning in your normal working day. And if at your arrival you'll notice I left my grin behind me, no worries, it's normal for a Cheshire Cat. Just remind to yourself that we are all mad here. And, oh, you can't help that.




Ehi! Guarda dove metti i piedi, mi hai quasi pestato la coda! Ma come, non mi avevi visto? Non sei capace di vedere un gatto invisibile? Che vuoi, non e' che sono invisibile tutto il tempo: appaio e scompaio. In genere quando meno te lo aspetti. Lo faccio perche' provo un sottile piacere nel frastornare le persone con questo mio atteggiamento, ma lo faccio soltanto con chi non partecipa. E' maleducazione pensare ad altre cose mentre racconto una storia, e non mi importa se un orologio senza lancette ti ha detto che sei in ritardo. Sarai sempre in ritardo per un appuntamento, quindi prenditi il tuo tempo e rilassati; non ha alcuna importanza quale strada dovresti prendere quando non sai dove vuoi andare, quindi tanto vale che ti concentri ed ascolti. Perche' se non presti attenzione ti inchiodero' al suolo con le mie unghie, e se ti rifiuti di partecipare alla mia storia io scompariro' davanti ai tuoi occhi, lasciando solo il mio ghigno irridente a confonderti. 
Non importa come prenderai parte, non serve che io te lo spieghi. Ma il modo migliore per spiegarlo e' farlo, perche' stiamo parlando di una corsa in circolo, ma la forma della pista non e' di alcuna importanza e non c'e' un punto di partenza: cominci a correre quando ti va e smetti quando ti va. E quando il Dodo infine dichiarera' che la gara e' terminata, anche tu avrai il tuo premio, come una buona nota da chi crede sia bello giocare a palla col proprio cervello. Ma non lasciarti confondere dagli indovinelli di chi e' piu' pazzo di te e non fidarti mai di un mazzo di carte, che sia marzo o l'ora del te'.
Ma ora devo andare, o ,per meglio dire, scomparire. Ma restero' sempre nel Paese delle Meraviglie, perche' non ci sono altri luoghi adatti a me la' fuori: io preferisco sedere sugli alberi e non sui funghi, anche quando ho qualcosa di importante da dirti e tu sei chiamato indietro a lezioni sul niente. E pure sulla mia pelliccia ci sono una o due strisce vulnerabili.  Anche tu puoi raggiungerci quando vuoi, basta che percorri quel sentiero che passa da qualche parte a sud dell'Inferno. Puoi trovarne l'inizio nel tuo tipico giorno lavorativo. E se arrivando ti accorgerai che ho lasciato il mio ghigno dietro di me, non preoccuparti, e' normale per un Gatto del Cheshire. Ricordati solo che siamo tutti matti qui. E tu non puoi farci niente.

No comments:

Post a Comment