Tuesday 31 December 2013

I wish you a New Year as good as new wine


Originally, to write this post about the oncoming year, I meant to translate the previous post "Anno Nuovo". But suddenly I realized that I have no clue how to transport from Italian to English a concept I used in it. I built the whole message around "vino nuovo", and how could I explain what these two words bring with them? Since I wasn't just speaking about the new wine of the year, although about culture and folklore. More over my lack of skill, to understand it you must live in a land where wine is made. You need to know what the grape harvest means culturally. You need to know what style of life moves around a wine cellar. You need to know the colours and the scents and the flavours of the countryside during the grape harvest. You need to see the vineyard turning from green to red to yellow; you need to sniff the wet soil smelling of mushrooms; you need to taste the chestnuts and the wine yeast on your tongue.
I wish you to try the whole of it on the oncoming year. Then you'll be able to understand me wholly.
I wish you a new year as good as a new wine.


No comments:

Post a Comment