Wednesday 12 December 2012

Ballad of Sacco and Vanzetti

by Joan Baez

Father, yes, I am a prisonerFear not to relay my crimeThe crime is loving the forsakenOnly silence is shame
And now I'll tell you what's against usAn art that's lived for centuriesGo through the years and you will findWhat's blackened all of history
Against us is the lawWith its immensity of strength and powerAgainst us is the lawPolice know how to make a manA guilty or an innocent
Against us is the power of policeThe shameless lies that men have toldWill ever more be paid in goldAgainst us is the power of the goldAgainst us is racial hatredAnd the simple fact that we are poor
My father dear, I am a prisonerDon't be ashamed to tell my crimeThe crime of love and brotherhoodAnd only silence is shame
With me I have my love, my innocenceThe workers and the poorFor all of this I'm safe and strongAnd hope is mine
Rebellion, revolution don't need dollarsThey need this insteadImagination, suffering, light and loveAnd care for every human being
You never steal, you never killYou are a part of hope and lifeThe revolution goes from man to manAnd heart to heartAnd I sense when I look at the starsThat we are children of life, death is small

No comments:

Post a Comment